A bit overshadowed by other well-known Dresden buildings, the »Kurfürstlich Reissiger Stall« is yet one of the few preserved witnesses of the glamorous era of Renaissance in Dresden. Completed in 1591 under the reign of Elector Christian I, the Stable Yard served as a venue for courtly tournaments, coursing and jousting. Two bronze columns designed by Giovanni Maria Nosseni commemorate this knightly exercise of skillfulness in which hoops dangling from above had to be speared.
There is an unexpected wide view opening up to the visitor between Johanneum, Langer Gang, Georgenbau and Kanzleihaus. The Tuscan order arcade gallery of theLanger Gang, which is adorned with trophies and reliefs of arms, represents a mature stage of southern German Renaissance.
The outside of the Langer Gang is decorated with the Fuerstenzug (Procession of Princes), a 102 meters long mural made of 25,000 tiles of Meissen porcelain depicting the ancestors of the House of Wettin.
1565 - 1567
Hans Irmisch builds the Kanzleihaus. Its frescoes are made by Benedetto da Tola.
1586 - 1588
Paul Buchner designs a race track in front of the southeast corner of Dresden Palace.
1586 - 1591
Hans Irmisch and Paul Buchner supervise the construction of the entire complex: a three-winged building (two-story); an enclosed yard with one spiral staircase at each corner; the Langer Gang consisting of 22 round-arched arcades opening out to the yard, probably designed by Giovanni Maria Nosseni; an oblong hall accommodating the Wettin ancestors' gallery, the later Gun Gallery (until 1945); the Kurfürstlich Reissiger Stall with the stable yard on the prior outer town wall, used to accommodate coaches and horses on the ground floor as well as the armory chamber and noble guest on the top floor, sgraffiti by Heinrich Goeding in the yard; two bronze columns for jousting, designed by Giovanni Maria Nosseni, cast in 1601 by Martin Hilger.
1722 - 1725
Architect Johann Georg Maximilian von Fuerstenhoff supervises the 1st conversion of the building complex.
1744 - 1746
The 2nd conversion is supervised by Johann Christoph Knoeffel (watering place for horses, gallery building). The building complex is used as a venue for entertainment, such as courtly tournaments, jousting, coursing and fox tossing until the middle of the 18th century.
1794 - 1857
Apart from accommodating the Mengs Museum, the building continues to be used as a stable.
1872 - 1877
Carl Moritz Haenel supervises the 3rd conversion. The name Johanneumoccurs for the first time. It is there, where the inventory of the Ruestkammer(Armory), the largest and most important arms collection in Germany, is put on display.
The building complex is returned into its originial state.
Die Dresden Stable Yard ist destroyed during air raids.
From 1950 on
The building complex is reconstructed.
The Dresden Transport Museum is inaugurated at the Johanneum.
1972 - 1979
The buildings of the Dresden Stable Yard are completely reconstructed.
The building complex becomes part of the newly founded castle operationDresden Castles and Gardens.
Georg-Treu-Platz 1 | 01067 Dresden
+49 (0) 351 4383703-20
From 09.01.2017 Dresden Fortress is closed until new opening.
Subject to modifications.
- Full rate 0,00 EUR
Subject to modifications.