1519 - 1529
The construction of the sovereign fortifications starts under the reign of Duke George the Bearded. Four bastions and the first brick gate are built at that time.
Duke Maurice issues new building regulations for Dresden, wherein the necessity to renew the fortifications is pointed out.
In commemoration of Duke Maurice, Hans Walther creates the Maurice Monument which is set up on the eastern wall of the bastion.
Designed and executed by Caspar Voigt von Wierandt, the fortifications of Dresden are completed.
1559 - 1563
The first Armory is built. (The building will be known as the Albertinum from the 19th century onward)
1589 - 1592
Following Paul Buchner's suggestions, a new bastion, called the Virgin Bastion, is contructed. Giovanni Maria Nosseni supervises the construction of the first Belvedere (destroyed in 1747 by an explosion in the Volcanic Caves, as the basement was called).
The casemates are built (called Volcanic Caves under Augustus the Strong) and thus the New Dresden fortress is completed
Count von Bruehl has gardens and a palace set up. The inner yards of the bastion are backfilled.
1748 - 1751
Johann Christoph Knoeffel builds the second Belvedere. (destroyed in 1759)
Gottlob Friedrich Thormeyer builds the flight of stairs leading fromSchlossplatz square up to Bruehl's Terrace.
Christian Friedrich Schuricht builds the third Belvedere. (demolished in 1842) Bruehl’s Terrace is opened to the public.
Bruehl’s Pavilion is used to accomodate the Saxon Technical School.
Otto von Wolframsdorf supervises the construction of the fourth Belvedere. (burnt out on 13 February 1945 and later torn down
Otto von Wolframsdorf builds the Café Reale.
1868 - 1871
Johannes Schilling's four groups of figurines depicting the Times of the Day are installed at the flight of stairs leading from Schlossplatz square up to Bruehl's Terrace.
Bruehl’s Pavilion is demolished. The Rietschel Monument, created by Johannes Schilling, is installed.
1884 - 1900
Bruehl’s Terrace is redesigned, the Armory is converted into the Albertinum, Johann Christoph Knoeffel’s buildings are demolished. The building accomodating the Academy of Fine Arts as well as the exhibition rooms of the Dresden Art Association is constructed.
The monument to Gottfried Semper, another work by Johannes Schilling, is put up in front of the building of the New Art Association
The Maurice Monument is attached to the outside of the Virgin Bastion.
The building of the Saxon State Parliament is completed.
Bruehl's Terrace is destroyed during air raids.
Having been cleared of debris, some parts of the Renaissance vaults (casemates) can be visited.
Bruehl’s Terrace becomes part of the castle operation Dresden Castles and Gardens.